Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Damn the Design

I've just had one of my outrages. I am still not out of it. I am irritated. Feel like throwing a brick on someone's pea-brain! Even better - a Nokia 2600 on its designers' heads! Seriously, doesn't it annoy the heck out of you when you can't get a seemingly trivial task done? All I wanted to do was to swap SIM cards between my existing Nokia instrument AND a new Nokia 2600 that I'd recently ordered. I COULDN'T. I'd been on its case since yesterday night. But yesterday was a totally different day! After a rather long work day and cooking and gymming and other chores, I hardly had any energy left. So I assumed my attempts at opening the back cover of the phone would be futile and decided to call it a day. And then it happened again today. I tried and tried and tried and the darn god forsaken piece of crappy plastic just wouldn't open. I swear I tried for 25 minutes straight before I decided that it perhaps needed "Guy Power". I pinged 3 of my guy friends...all 3 weren't readily available to take on the task! I gave up. I was hungry and needed a spike in my blood sugar levels. Food - I thought would help me accomplish this challenge. But hell NO!!!!!!! Another 15 minutes of sighing, swearing, hustling - No luck! That’s it! I'd had enough! I cursed at my luck for not having my husband around and googled for the closest AT&T store. I gathered my car keys, the phones and my wallet and walked towards my car, swearing at the guys who designed such a ridiculous device. After a 10 minute wait at the store, one of the guys offered to help. I was feeling utterly humiliated to have driven 3 miles just to open the damn cover of such a stupid phone. But I just had to do this, else I wouldn't sleep tonight. "Oh this model...It's a toughie"... he said. "Ya right!" I thought. "Why did you choose this one?" he asked. "I was eligible for an upgrade and this was free... DUH!!!" I said. And lo and behold...in all of 3 seconds he opened the darned thing. "You press this button down with your nail and push open the front cover like this. Just requires some patience" he explained. Patience and long nails - neither of which I possess. Wonder if designers forgot the mantra of USER FRIENDLINESS!! Beware! Tonight's not a good time - You might just see a red 2600 whistle past your head!

6 comments:

J said...

Try getting a SIM out of an iPhone, you'll need more than nails :)

Looks like Nokia is loosing its edge on user friendliness

Jaya said...

I have had it with similar things too... I remember when my Samsung slider came away in 2 pieces I spent a lifetime on it before sending it to service (http://jollyjaya.blogspot.com/2007/08/phone-y.html). Totally hear u...

g said...

ayoo adhu worstu nokia..i had the same prob and just left it.once my nephew threw it with full force and it opened and since then everytime i want to open i ask a kid to throw it!

Archana said...

Lol @ Jas and Gayathri!

Archana said...

@J: Just read it... :) These phones...!!!

Kamini Santhanagopalan said...

Good one! I've had similar experiences in trying to open the back of blackberry pearl. I finally ended up throwing it on the floor :D and adhuve kazhandu vanthuduthu!

Stumbled across your blog ramdomly! Good ones - keep writing :)